Wikipédia:Robôs/Pedidos de aprovação/SuggestBot
pedido • edições • contador • logs • block user • block log • flag log • flag bot • SUL util
Automatic or manually assisted: Automatic
Programming language(s): Python, SQL, some Perl and some Java
Function summary: Post suggestions for articles to edit to users on their user talk page or a page in their userspace based on their edit history or stated interests.
Edit period(s) (e.g. continuous, daily, one time run): Requests are handled on a continuous basis, while users who sign up to get suggestions periodically are handled once a day.
Edit rate requested: 20 edits per hour (likely less)
Already has a bot flag (Y/N): Yes on English and Norwegian. We also run on Swedish Wikipedia (Användare:FörslagsBot), but due to low edit frequency we are approved to run without a bot flag.
Function details: The main functionality of SuggestBot is finding articles similar to an editor's interest profile using collaborative filtering and information retrieval methods. It filters articles based on a stored database of articles with known issues (see discussion here) so it only suggests articles that are in need of improvement. Once a set of articles is produced it posts to a user's talk page or a sub-page in their userspace, depending on how they have requested to receive the suggestions.
There are two ways of requesting suggestions from SuggestBot:
- Periodically (weekly, every two weeks, or monthly) using our config template or userbox
- One-time requests using our request template
For the users who receive suggestions periodically, the interest profile is always determined by looking at the user's recent edit history. One-time requests allow the user to choose between using their edit history and specifying the interest profile, the template allows listing of article titles or categories containing articles. The bot removes the request template at the same time as it posts the suggestions.
Placing either template on a sub-page in userspace (e.g. "User:Example/suggestions") will make the bot post there, since this allows users to receive suggestions without it cluttering their user talk page.
Sounds a great bot, it's used on several projects, but right now, as far as i know, this task hasn't any aprouval here, so there will be a need to discuss it on our village pump, this, unless of course, if it already has been discussed. Are you aware of any discussion on pt.wp? Alchimista Fala comigo! 16h04min de 25 de fevereiro de 2013 (UTC)
- Olá Alchimista, desculpe me intrometer, como o objetivo do bot me parece ser relacionado a manutenção, houve uma pequena divulgação dele aqui. —comentário não assinado de Rodrigolopes (discussão • contrib) 17:19, 25 de fevereiro de 2013 (UTC)
- Alchimista, ver Wikipédia:Esplanada/geral/SuggestBot interest? (26nov2012). GoEThe (discussão) 18h47min de 25 de fevereiro de 2013 (UTC)
- As GoEThe points out, I did bring it up on the Village Pump back in November after having been asked about making the bot available in other languages, see en:User talk:SuggestBot/Archive 3#Other languages
- Although there was no clear favourable consensus on the VP here, I'd like to point out something that I probably failed to make clear in the description of the bot's functionality: SuggestBot is completely opt-in, we do not post unsolicited. So it'll only be sending requests to users who has either signed up to receive them periodically, or just once. Regards, Nettrom (discussão) 18h56min de 25 de fevereiro de 2013 (UTC)
- I've announced the bot request on Wikipédia:Esplanada/anúncios#Usu.C3.A1rio.28a.29:SuggestBot, but as appointed here, there where already two discussions about it, and despite the week participation, there where no objections. You may start the tests, aprox 50 edits, and with an edit rate no longer than 3 edits per minute. Alchimista Fala comigo! 18h58min de 26 de fevereiro de 2013 (UTC)
Since it's been a little over two months since testing started and we'll reach ~50 edits in a week, I thought it could be time to bring this request up again. Most of the edits since February 26th (see Especial:Contribuições/SuggestBot) has been posting suggestions to users who have opted in to receive them periodically, there are just two edits that have come as one-time requests: this one and this one (the second user later signed up to get them periodically). As far as I find from going through the contribution history and our logs, there has been no significant issues with the bot.
We now have ten users signed up to receive suggestions periodically, nearly all of them to get them weekly. Would therefore appreciate if you could consider granting SuggestBot a bot flag here on ptwiki as well. Let me know if you have any concerns or questions. Regards, Nettrom (discussão) 19h12min de 1 de maio de 2013 (UTC)
- Everything seems fine to me, i just have one final question, which is not impeditive for the flag granting. I haven't seen how does the bot gets the translated messages, i suppose they are on source code, or at least on server side? If so, it would be good to have that info on the bot user page. As you're not a regular editor here, what would be the best way to reach you in case of any communication? Do you have the mail notification once someone edits your talk page here, or prefer to get messages on other project? This aren't critical problems, just secondary or terciary, so the bot flag is not in stake.
- If the messages are in server side/source code, i sugest the use of an on-wiki message system. The messages template could be on wikipages, and the bot loads them on startup, but don't worry, it's just a suggestion for future improvements. Alchimista Fala comigo! 16h20min de 2 de maio de 2013 (UTC)
- I'm happy to hear things are looking good, and thanks for adding some thoughtful comments! When it comes to the messages SuggestBot posts, it substitutes two templates. Usuário(a):SuggestBot/Templates/Regulars is used for those users who get suggestions periodically, while Usuário(a):SuggestBot/Templates/Requests is used for those who just want a one-time post to try the bot. Because these are only used for subst'ing I have kept their English names, but with Portuguese content of course. The configuration on our side defines which templates are used, the edit comment used when posting suggestions, etc… Right now these templates are hidden unless you look for subpages in SuggestBot's userspace, would it be helpful to have them documented and linked somewhere?
- How to get in touch with me is a valid concern. I do get emails when my user talk page is changed, and it's also possible to email me directly. I tend to also check my watchlist here at least once a day. I added some info about how to reach me to my user page so those who need can get in touch both on and off Wikipedia.
- Flag granted. Regarding the messages, it was just a suggestion. If they're visible and documented, if theres an error to correct, it may be done locally. But it depends if you pretend to have control over them, to check, you may wanna try different types of messages to evaluate if the result is more promising. You can use, for example, a little and perhaps strange trick. On one of my bots, messages are in .css user:Alchimista/Aleph_Bot/AvisoVandalismo.css, for example, that way, the bot can read the content like any regular text, i can edit it, and sysops also can, using the ability to change other users css, while other users can't, giving more security and preventing vandal edits. Alchimista Fala comigo! 23h37min de 3 de maio de 2013 (UTC)